Mondays – 7pm to 8.45pm (during term time)
Scouts is the third section in Scouting, after Beavers and Cubs, and is for young people both boys and girls usually aged between 10 ½ and 14 ½. At 1st Wargrave we are happy for Scouts to stay in the section up to their 15th Birthday.
A number of Scouts decide to stay in Scouting and join the Loddon District Explorers Unit. We welcome Scouts that decide to return to the Troop to participate in the UK Scout Association’s Young Leaders Scheme, which typically involves helping our Beaver or Cub sections.
Scouting is about being with friends, having fun and learning as part of a team, and participating fully in the adventure and opportunities of life.
Our default meeting place is the Hut on Wargrave Rec, but we also spend time in Bowsey Woods lighting fires and cooking, hiking, orienteering and playing wide games! Several evenings may involve activities on the river.
As a troop we strive hard to put the ‘out’ in Scouting. By providing adventure and opportunity, Scouting enables young people and adult volunteers to regularly experience new challenges, that enrich their lives and help them grow.
We offer a balanced programme of activities and no two terms are alike! In the summer term we are out and about away from the hut in Bowsey Woods, playing wide games, cooking, climbing, fire-lighting, hiking, cycling. We could also be kayaking or dragoon boating on the river. In the Autumn we might be shelter building, cooking, geocaching or studying the moon and stars. In winter we are more likely to be honing our navigation, first-aid and pioneering skills at the Hut. We also spend time reflecting and collecting feedback from the Scouts on the activities we do, as well as discussing local and global issues.
We like to cook – a lot! From simple pancakes to designer sandwiches, to 3-course meals, we cook throughout the year, with special evenings that celebrate Chinese New Year, Christmas and Burns Night.
We currently have 4 patrols (Badgers, Otters, Stags and Falcons), each consisting of 5 or 6 Scouts. Each Patrol has a Patrol Leader (PL) and an Assistant Patrol Leader (APL). We encourage each Scout to take an active part in creating and delivering the terms programme, and they organise at least one of the games we play each week. We have a Troop Code of Conduct that all Scouts adhere to that respects Scoutings values.
We love camping! We provide several one night (usually Saturday to Sunday) camps locally in Berkshire and we also, in winter, ‘Camp at the Hut’. The Group has a biennial two night ‘Family Camp’ for Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Parents organised by the GSL and Exec C’tee.
We also support Loddon District Scout activities such as the ‘Great Breakfast Chase’ which involves a night hike, and we organise an annual ‘Summer Camp’. Summer Camps involve camping further afield in the UK, or sometimes abroad. We attend Berkshire Scouting events, and in 2014 camped at the WINGS International Jamboree in Windsor Great Park.
Recent Summer Camps:
- 2014 we camped for 7-nights at the WINGS 2014 Windsor International Jamboree, read the retrospective blog report.
- 2015 we camped for 2-nights at Dorneywood for the Loddon District Big Camp and 1st Wargrave won the District Camping Competition!
- 2016 we ventured further afield, 12 Scouts and 3 Leaders attended the Finland International Jamboree. It was an amazing experience, see our FINLAND BLOG.
- 2017 our Summer Camp was 3-nights at Walton Firs Activity Centre, Chobham. We had a fun 4 days of activities including a hike and day out at the Brooklands Motor Museum, where Scouts enjoyed a “Concorde Experience” see the blog post here and the report here.
- 2018 we held a 2-night Sumer Camp at the end of September at Youlbury near Oxford.
- 2019 we traveled by train, ferry and then camped for 1-night in late September on Brownsea Island, the birthplace of Scouting – and the home of the red squirrel!
Next Summer Camp
- 2020 the plan (subject to Leader availability) is to take the Scouts on a 7-night camp to the amazing WINGS 2020 International Jamboree in Windsor Great Park. We plan to host the Finland Scout group that looked after us so well at Roihu in 2016.
As of October 2019, we have 24 Scouts and 3 Uniformed Leaders. We are now FULL.
Our maximum capacity is 24 as we go down to 2 Leaders from January 2020.
We have a small WAITING LIST.
To find out about Scouts email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*** UPDATED *** NEW AUTUMN TERM PROGRAMME (v2 – 14th October 2019).
- Download our latest programme here:
Scouts Autumn Term 2019 v2 Programme
Scout Leader (SL) – Pete Walsh
Assistant Scout Leaders (ASL’s) – Richard Arnold, Annie McDermott